Some of the best money I’ve spent lately is on lessons and some of our summer activities were even free! We took a break from piano over the summer, did a short baseball camp, no football camp but enjoyed some basketball, water sports, gardening and tennis! In a society that seems to be over obsessed with professional athletes, I feel like the focus on being well rounded has taken a back seat. There are many modes of thought and I’m not suggesting mine is right. I try as a parent to consider a few points.
- Do we ever eat at home at the table?
- Do our sports have seasons and do we “crop rotate”? Too much of a good thing is sometime too much!
- Do I have to make my kid practice?
- Are their signs of improvement?
- Do I become a lunatic that screams orders from the sidelines?
- Who is it about? Me or them?
- Does my child know the difference in winning, losing, participating, effort, respect and obedience?
- Do we have down time?
- Do we skip church for activities?
- Is it fun?
Now, I certainly don’t always get it right but by child four I have seen it all. I’ve seen one spectrum to another and I have the benefit of watching college kids that I knew as babies while at the same time parenting a middle schooler. It helps you to see what works and what doesn’t! I ask myself those 10 questions at the beginning of every new season whether it’s piano or baseball. I pray that what I do helps my babies be well rounded!